Super close friends of mine had us over twice now for a create your own pho dinner. This was an awesome experience. Not only was it my first time having pho, but it was a great way to entertain. It is a bit putzy to prepare, but created a fun and entertaining night. Ever since, I’ve been craving more and more.
Here are a few highlights from the night and some ingredients that make a night like this possible.
- box rice noodles
- beef sirloin or shrimp or mushrooms (depends if you want vegetarian)
- salt and pepper
- 5 star anise pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- fish sauce, hoisin sauce, and/or hot sauce
- 3-4 cups of beef broth (more if you have a larger party then 4)
- bean sprouts
- pork rinds
To Make the Broth….
- Meanwhile, place a large pot over high heat.
- Add the onion and ginger to the pot; cook about 4 minutes. Add the broth, 3 cups water, the star anise and cinnamon, reduce the heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Then, add the fish sauce to the broth and boil 5 minutes.
- Discard the ginger, star anise and cinnamon stick.
While the Broth is Cooking…
- Prepare the rice noodles according to the label, drain, keep warm.
- If you want meat you could cook shrimp or sear beef until charred but still rare.
- For the toppings thinly slice the scallions, tear the cilantro, and cut jalapenos and remove seeds if you want less heat.
- Just before serving thinly slice the meat.
- Remove and slice the onion.
- Divide the noodles among 4 bowl.
- Top noodles with broth and toppings of preference.
Guests can top the broth with the meat, scallions, cilantro, bean sprouts, pork rinds, mushrooms, jalapenos and onion. A variety of hot sauces are also fun. This can be prepared to anyone’s liking and makes for a super entertaining time. There are so many different ways to make this, but I based this on what I remembered having that night. Deliciousness!
If you like today’s content, feel free to like, comment, and share. Thanks for stopping by! #365daysofnew